Monday, March 1, 2010

Big Ride Saturday

Saturday, I was able to get away for a great ride with some friends.  More MTB time on the road.  It's interesting, I've got a lot more road time on the MTB than the road bike - go figure.  I met up with Rob Jason, Von, Tom, Matt, and Shep.   We did the usual Gold Hill loop.  Rob, Matt, and Von opted for the "THE double ;^)" as Rob dubbed it in the email.  Translation:  two loops to Gold Hill.  GH has a lot of climbing - from my home and back with just one loop it doles out 4,200ft of climbing.


The weather was nice, if not too warm, as many of us overdressed.  The ride started off with a more mild mannered pace than usual but that didn't last too long.  The last 60+ minutes to the top was full gas - at least for me.  Von and Shep led the group to the top at a pace that was too stiff for me.  I hadn't been on the bike too much given my travel and work schedule but surprisingly felt pretty good.  Rob, Matt, and I swapped the lead a number of times each time catching the lead wheel and trying to hang on.

As I said, I surprised myself but taking some good pulls and not getting dropped.  I was hurting no doubt but I felt I had more inside which was a good positive reinforcement for me.  I know Rob (and Matt, although I've never ridden with him before) is a stronger rider than I am so it proved to be a good test for me.

We bombed the descent back down to Poormans where the second lap was to to start.  A few fist bumps later, I was heading back down and they were off for another.

I'm having so damn much fun on the MTB.  I'm trying to decide if I need the road bike any longer.  Every time I throw a leg over the Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper 29er, I'm more impressed.  It handles great and just feels right to me.  I can't wait for the trails to open around here and be able report on how well it performs on trails I commonly ride. 

I'm going to start my 8-week, Chris Carmichael, Time Crunched Cyclist plan next week in anticipation of the Battle at the Bear coming May 8th.  I'll report more on the progress as it unfolds.  It will be interesting with the spring break family break, a NYC vacation,  and Philly travel.  Motivation will need to be high to pull it off!

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I am not sure I like hearing you talking about dumping the road mcahine :) Joe

    ReplyDelete

http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000030716979