Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Johnny G's Famous Pancakes

Well not really famous at all but I think they're damn good! I have two pre-ride favorite foods: Pancakes and Oatmeal. I do pancakes if I'm going big and oatmeal for a shorter ride like a CX race. Below is my most current best effort recipe:


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 4 tsp sugar (or no sugar if using flavored and sweetened yogurt - e.g. vanilla yogurt)
  • 2 cups milk (I mostly use skim but buttermilk, 2%, or whole are always good)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 3-4 tablespoons butter (let's face it, the more the better)
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2-eggs
Mixin' It Up
  • Sift the flour into a bowl
  • Add the other dry ingredients
  • Separate the egg whites and the yolks - whisk the egg whites until frothy in a separate bowl- dump the yolks in the the dry ingredients
  • Melt the butter in a small bowl
  • Combine the rest of the wet ingredients and stir in the melted butter
  • Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir thoroughly
  • If it's a bit thick, add more milk. If too thin, add some oatmeal.
Cookin' Time
  • Let the mix sit for 15-30 minutes
  • Set the griddle to 375ish
  • Cook until lightly browned
This recipe will make about 15, 4-5 inch sized, high quality pancakes.

I keep the ones we don't eat and warm them up for the kids' breakfast throughout the week.

Enjoy! Also, if you have better ideas let me know.





blog comments powered by Disqus
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000030716979