Wednesday, March 17, 2010

More Power = Less Time: How much less?

Disclaimer: This is completely unscientific. The results compare some split times using my Garmin Edge 705 and Powertap. Undoubtedly the GPS distance is off by several feet in each of these. Regardless, it's fun to geek on the data.

I was doing some intervals up Lookout Mtn a few weeks ago and compared the Avg. Watts to Time it took to cover the same Distance. Below are the results:

You'll notice that it took me 8:02 minutes to travel 1.47m with an avg. power output of 294. The following two intervals I stepped up the pace slightly and demonstrated that I could cover the same distance in a shorter amount of time. Duh!

I then extrapolated the % faster data into a 2-hour ride to see what the impact would be, say, during a race:




So what? Just 3-Watts is meaningful over the course of an entire race. It may seem like a small improvement in performance but the results can be big!
blog comments powered by Disqus
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000030716979