Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The 8-Week Plan is Starting

Ok-here we go:  I'm starting the 8-week training block based on Chris Carmichael's, Time Crunched Cyclist.  The key principles of the program are as follows (in my own words - sorry Chris if I'm butchering this!)
  1. Most of us have day jobs and families - cycling comes third 
  2. You can be competitive on just 6-hours of training a week 
  3. Intensity is the key - it's what makes this program work 
  4. Rest is key- it's what makes this program work
Over the last few years I've managed, on average, 5-8 hours of cycling per week.  I simply cannot ride anymore without negatively affecting the rest of my life.  I've also found that I can have fun and be fit with this amount of riding.  No, I'm not winning every race but I'm competitive, having fun, and every once in a while can get a top 5 or even a podium.  

The first week will look like this:

Mon:  Easy Effort or 45-60min
Tue:   60-90 min with 3x10min Steady State (86-90% of FTP) Intervals with 5 min BI
Wed:  Easy Effort or Off
Thu:  60-90 min with 3x10min Steady State Intervals with 5 min BI
Fri:    Off
Sat:  60-90 min with 3x10min Steady State Intervals with 5 min BI or Group Ride for 90-120 min
Sun: 90-120 min Easy Effort

SS efforts are just below or at lactate threshold - something that should be able to held for a long time.  Over the ensuing weeks however,  the intensity will increase but the rest will be consistent with 3-days a week off.   

My workout today felt great if not too easy.  I need to be patient because soon the intensity will pick up and with the goal of peaking for the race in 8-weeks.
blog comments powered by Disqus
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000030716979