Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Training Program

With all of the snow and cold hitting Colorado (and everywhere it seems this winter) I've spent far more time on the trainer than I would like to admit.  I hate the trainer to be clear.  It's an evil apparatus that spawns boredom and pain all at once.  Luckily I'm feeling a lot more motivated than I was last year.  Perhaps its because memories of our annual man-trip out to Fruita, CO where my buddies proceeded to drag me around the high-dessert terrain for 4-days straight.  I will defiantly be better prepared this year - maybe I'll just be "pulled" rather than "dragged" ;-).

Another challenge, a new one, has to do with my company;  we recently sold the company to a much larger company in Philadelphia.  It was a good transaction and great for me and the employees.  I will however be going to Philly a lot.  Figuring out how to get some solid workouts in while traveling will be a challenge - hell, maybe I'll actually miss having the trainer available.  

All this being said, most of us are challenged to remain speedy on the bike while managing family and work.  I mentioned earlier that I will be following The Time Crunched Cyclist by Chris Carmichael.  It's an 8-10 week program so I'll begin roughly in first half of March in anticipation of my first race of the year, The Battle at the Bear,  followed 2-weeks after with the second the Gunnison Growler (although I need to pull a few strings to get in as it sold out in only a few hours).

In the meantime I've been getting my 6ish hours in per week with some intensity work (85%-90%) a couple of times a week, to make sure I maintain my fitness and have a solid foundation before cranking up the intensity.  Despite hating the trainer, it works, and the anticipation of the man-weekend and the first race is keeping me focused.

I want to do well in the season opener at Battle at the Bear.  In 2008 I finished 3rd in the Expert class.  Last year, 17th.  That hurt but I knew I wasn't in as good of shape.  I'm hoping to improve this year.    
I've learned a lot about working out and balancing family and career.  I'm not the fastest guy around by an stretch however I do know what's worked for me and what hasn't.  I'll be sure to share shortly and attempt to couple those leanings with what' I've read in the Time Crunched Cyclist (which is a great read by the way and spot on for folks like us, IMO).
blog comments powered by Disqus
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000030716979