Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Finding the Time

I mentioned in an earlier post that I'll be spending a lot of time traveling to Philadelphia since the company has agreed to be acquired.  Again, all good stuff but figuring out how to keep the fitness level up is going to present a new challenge and a new level of motivation.  I feel it - I just need to keep the sensation there.  I keep thinking Spring time when I know that the effort I put in now will make all the difference. 

As an example, I completed a 6am workout on the trainer this morning before heading to the airport.  I wasn't very motivated and more or less hate doing a forced workout that early - don't get me wrong, I like the AM but would rather be doing an early AM epic MTB ride.

It started off well intentioned - get a workout in as I won't have a chance to get on the bike until the weekend.  The planned workout was a good one for the trainer - especially with limited time ( I only had 45 minutes)

  • 10 min warm up
  • 3x5 minute intervals with 5 min BI
  • Each interval consists of 1 min at 100% effort followed by 3 min at 85-90% effort, and then capped with 1 min by 100% effort with a sprint thrown in at the last 10 seconds. 
After the first interval I was demoralized.  Yes, I did it and could sustain the effort but it felt crappy.   I decided to change things up given I wasn't feeling up to another tough one.  Instead I did a 6 minute effort one-legged alternating each minute.  These are not the hardest cardiovascularly however they are painful on the quad (upper area connecting to the hip especially).  I was able to regain some composure after my next 5 min break and then was able to cap the workout with another 5 minute, hard effort, as planned.  Warm down for 5 min - all is good.

Fed the kids, kissed the wife, and off to the airport.
blog comments powered by Disqus
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000030716979